Construction crews will stay busy this weekend as paving work gets underway on Interstate 71. The work is part of the I-Move KY project and will require lane and ramp closures from Friday night until early Monday morning.
Beginning at 8 p.m. tonight, June 10, I-71 North will be reduced to one lane between I-265 (Gene Snyder Freeway) and the Chamberlain Lane overpass near mile marker 10. Milling and paving operations will be active throughout the weekend until 6 a.m. Monday, June 13.
The ramp from I-265 North to I-71 North (Exit 35A) will also be closed during this time period (Friday night until 6 a.m. Monday). Drivers can navigate the ramp closure by utilizing three of the interchange’s cloverleaf ramps:
- Take Exit 35B to I-71 South
- Immediately take Exit 9A to I-265/Gene Snyder South
- Take Exit 35A to I-71 North
Starting at 4 p.m. Saturday, June 11, the ramp from I-71 North to I-265 North (Exit 9B) will be closed. This closure will last until 10 a.m. Sunday, June 12. Drivers on I-71 North can navigate the ramp closure via the following detour:
- Exit I-71 North to I-265 South via Exit 9A
- Stay in the right lane and take Exit 34 to Brownsboro Road (Crestwood)
- Using the middle lane, turn left onto Brownsboro Road and take the ramp to I-265 North using the far right lane
On Monday, June 13, traffic on I-71 North will be switched to the inside lanes between I-265 and just past the Brownsboro Road bridge near mile marker 10.
Drivers will likely encounter delays during this time and should avoid the area or consider alternate routes when possible. Signage and flaggers will be in place to alert drivers of lane closures and construction zones.